Celeste and Marine, CAFOD staff in the diocese of Southwark, are inviting all the CAFOD supporters to join them in a Novena to St Francis at the end of the Season of Creation from Saturday 26th September to Sunday 4th October.
A season like no other
We are coming to the end of The Season of Creation which started running from 1 September (World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation) and will finish on 4 October (the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi). This ecumenical season is dedicated to prayer and action for the protection of creation. It is a time to renew our relationships with God our Creator, and with all creation, as we join together in prayer. We give thanks for all that God has made, repent for the damage that we have caused and commit ourselves to take action to protect the earth our common home. This year we have been made acutely aware of how interconnected we all are, and so we come together in hope that we can rebuild and heal our world.
What is the Novena to St Francis?
The Novena is made of nine brief reflections asking St Francis of Assisi to pray for us and our world, based on his beautiful Canticle of the Sun. This novena is a song of penitence and praise, guiding us to care for the earth and for our most vulnerable sisters and brothers, especially the Amazon peoples. They are currently under grave risk from coronavirus, given their fragile situation, often in remote locations far from government services.
Communities with whom we work are reporting a sharp increase in predatory attacks on land. People smugglers are also active and those being trafficked are in more danger than ever, having no access to healthcare. The pandemic shows us that “we have not heard the cry of the poor and our seriously ill planet” warns Pope Francis, describing this as “a time to choose what matters and what passes away”. (Urbi et Orbi, 2020)
How to do the Novena to St Francis with us ?
- Book a slot in your diary from 26th September to 4 October at 9 am or 7 pm (that’s when we will be doing it but you can choose your own timing!)
- Five minutes before the time open this link from CAFOD website : https://cafod.org.uk/Pray/Prayer-resources/Novena-to-St-Francis
- At the time you have decided to start, scroll the page to the video you need for the day ( 26th Sept = Prayer 1 = Sun) and click on the play button
- Each has four phases: Canticle; Amazon voice; penitential prayer; plea for intercession.
- Each Video is less than a minute long so, do not hesitate to put the video on pause to reflect on what you have just heard, add your own penitential prayer and your intercession
- Each Day do the same but change the video – For example – 27th Sept : Prayer 2 : Night Sky
- Please send us a text saying “I joined the Novena” to let us know you were on with us, or send us a picture of what creation is for you on Whatsapp messages (07710094446), or tweets @CAFODSouthwark, or facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/cafodsouthwark/ or emails (email@example.com).