4 October 2019 marks this year’s Harvest Fast Day, which serves to generate funds to support our partners in Uganda to supply people with safe access to water. Discover how you can get involved by hosting your own soup lunch in three simple steps.
Why host a soup lunch?
Why not do something special and life-changing this Harvest? This Family Fast Day, we are encouraging you to have a simple soup lunch with family or friends and donate the money you have saved to CAFOD. By doing so, you will be giving tremendous help to our partners in Uganda, to provide people there with safe access to water.
Host a soup lunch in 3 simple steps:
- Find a team who will help. You can ask your friends and family to help buy ingredients (ideally fair-trade) and cook them (make sure that the cooks abide by food safety guidelines, and ensure that all soups are labelled clearly for those with allergies!)
- Decide the venue. This could be at home, in your school or parish!
- Spread the word about your event. CAFOD has a brilliant poster you can use to advertise it in your community. Invite your family and friends, and off you go!
A super soup recipe!
1. Melt butter, add leeks, onions and potatoes with plenty of salt and pepper. Cook gently for 15-20 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
2. Add the stock and dijon mustard, bring to the boil, and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes until the veg is soft. Season to taste.
3. Serve the soup and sprinkle with chives.
Click here for more delicious soup recipes from CAFOD, including tomato soup, pea and potato soup and sweet potato and butternut squash!
Let us know how you get on!
Once you have your soup lunch, don’t forget to let us know how it went. If you need any help organising your lunch, don’t hesitate to get in touch!