On Saturday 19 January we had our first volunteer day of the new year. We had over 90 supporters come out and spend the day with us. We shared our experiences, we heard about Lent Family fast Day and celebrated mass together. Thank you to all of you who came out!
Becoming a global neighbour
Richard Sloman, CAFOD’s Programme Officer for Bangladesh, inspired us with his knowledge and experience in Bangladesh. We learned about:
- .Living conditions in Bangladesh
- Responses to the Rohingya refugee crisis
- Working in partnership with local partners like Caritas
- Ensuring that our money goes to its intended recipient
This gave us time to reflect upon life in the United Kingdom and how we can share our resources with others to grow as a global neighbour.
What we learned on Bangladesh
CAFOD’s annual budget for Bangladesh is approximately £150,000 for long term support but over £600,000 has already been contributed towards supporting the Rohingya refugee response. Why is long term support to Bangladesh needed?
- Reoccurring disastrous events
- Climate change
Caritas Bangladesh, CAFOD’s partner, is empowering and training the locals on how to build shelters and communal buildings in the refugee camp . Elsewhere in Bangladesh, women are taught how to grow crops that can better withstand climate change and are implementing new methods of tending to livestock.
Whatever you collect at Family fast day will partially go directly to the Bangladesh programme. Anything you can do helps.
Join us and learn how to be a beacon hope for the Bangladeshi citizens. Be part of the next conversation about how we can become better global citizens.
Throughout the day we talked with one another. We also shared our experiences as volunteers and global neighbours through one of the following workshops:
- A workshop that taught us how to become a CAFOD volunteer in a parish.
- Twenty people attended a workshop to understand how to join CAFOD Live Simply award
- Another group of people engaged with other supporters in discussion about our new Hands On programme about peace building in Columbia.
- Long standing volunteers gathered to exchanged ideas with other volunteers to enhance our work.
Rejoiced in crEATion Mass
We finished our day celebrating with a crEATion mass where we shared in prayer and reflection.
The mass was Laudato Si inspired and gave us an insight for our next Campaign “Our
Common Home” starting in May.
In case we missed you this weekend sign up for the next Family fast day briefing now!
Discover our Lenten Material
Family fast Day will be on on 15 March 2019 at Southwark Volunteer centre in Romero House. We pledge to have soup and a simple meal and donate the money we would have spent to CAFOD, which will go directly to those who are less fortunate than ourselves. Join us.
Browse all of the resources:
We are sorry we missed you
Please consider attending another briefing:
- 7 February 11:30 at Bexleyheath: St. John Vianney, Bexleyheath
- If you cant join us and want some more information please call us on: