John Sibley is a volunteer at CAFOD and an experienced public speaker. Here, he shares his best tips and tells you everything you need to know about speaking at Mass for Family Fast Day. The message? Speaking at Mass can seem daunting, but all it takes is good preparation!
Why it’s important to speak at Mass
Family Fast Day is on 15 March. On that day and throughout March, people like you will be standing up in Mass to speak out for our global neighbours.
Speaking at Mass and giving a Family Fast Day talk is so important because it brings the struggles of our global partners into the pews in our parishes. This family fast day we are focusing on Bangladesh.
It is not always easy to speak publicly. Many of us aren’t natural speakers. Many of us aren’t confident standing up in front of others. With a little bit of practice it will be easy.
Speak up at Mass for Mahinur this Family Fast day
- Download a copy of the Family Fast Day short talk.
- Read our document called “Making the shot talk your own” under the section Fast Day Parish Tool
- Practise reading the talk. Read it to a family member or a friend, or even out loud to yourself. Watch Sam for some pointers!
- Arrive at the church early so that you can introduce yourself to the parish Priest, and sit near the front.
- Take a small bottle of water with you in case you get thirsty.
- Remember that it is normal to feel a bit nervous when speaking in public, but you are doing a great thing by speaking on behalf of CAFOD and our partners.
Prepare speaking at mass by attending our event
Join us at Romero House on 16 February 2019 for a workshop from 10:00- 14:00 that will help you learn the ins-and-outs of public speaking.
John Sibley, the facilitator, will help us to get ready to talk this Family Fast Day.
Remember to bring your own lunch and eat simply! Register for the event now!